The Medical Administrative Assistant is responsible for the timely patient flow of the clinic in a
pleasant, professional manner. This individual is responsible for sign-in of patients, accurate
registration, and appropriate wait time before the patient receives services. Requires awareness of
customer service expectations, desire to deal with the public and good communication skills.
● Completes sign-in of patients documenting arrival time, updating patient demographics and
insurance carrier, printing encounters and racking charts.
● Gathers data for patient registration, obtains consent for treatment, insurance and identification
cards and files all documentation in medical records.
● Verifies coverage and eligibility on new patients by calling third party payors.
● Communicates with patients about correct co-pays and deductibles with expectation of payment
at the time of service.
● Verifies enrollment eligibility and obtains PCP /specialty authorization as needed.
● Updates sliding fee scale applications and/or assists patients in completion of new applications
and documents in off-bill comments.
● Processes cancellation and no-show charts according to protocols.
● Answers incoming calls for adding or canceling appointments to provider schedules.
● Verifies phone number, date of birth and insurance information.
● Verifies and reviews next day provider schedules for errors in scheduling.Prepares and and
notifies patients of schedule changes according to protocols.
● Updates and distributes provider schedules daily.
● Prepares provider monthly manual productivity reports indicating encounters, cancellations and
● Outreach to patients for weekly patient registration.
● Outreach to providers on their schedules and follow ups for patient scheduling
● Assists patients with requests for their medical records following release of medical record policy
● Follow up on provider credentialing
● Performs other duties as assigned.
● Patient Redesign
● Responds to Care Team needs; process auths and referrals.
● Update demographics, register patients, and schedule follow-up appointments
● Communicates with team members and follows directions of Greeter and Facilitator specific to
the patient process
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
● Knowledge of medical office procedures.
● Skill in operating a computer.
● Skill in answering the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
● Ability to work under pressure and still maintain accuracy.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees,
and the public.
● Knowledge of commercial, Medicare, and Medicaid insurance procedures.
● Excellent Communications Skills
● RN/ Non-RN
● Minimum of 2 years of experience in a US virtual medical office setting.
● Experience in handling high- volume calls
● Training specific in medical terminology, insurance requirements, and customer service is
● Experience in Prior Authorization, Referrals, Benefits and Eligibility, and Insurance
Verification Knowledge with EMR tools